For more than 30 years, FCW (Federal Computer Week), a division of 1105 Media,, Inc. has covered the intersection of technology and government for an influential audience of public sector professionals.
FCW is seeking an ambitious, energetic reporter with an interest in technology and a passion for breaking stories that matter. This beat offers the chance to dig deep on AI and other emerging technologies, next-gen cloud services, the companies powering federal IT, and the government’s efforts to develop technology policy that can keep pace with the tech itself. This reporter will write both about and for the leaders who are determining the ways tech will transform government.
- Report on the use of technology in government operations and service delivery, including cloud computing, telecommunications, drones, mobile technologies, AI and automation and more.
- Develop contacts among agency management (especially key central policy shops at the White House and the Office of Management and Budget, the General Service Administration) and in Congress.
- Research trends and develop story ideas on federal technology use, development and procurement, using public-facing and proprietary databases, and FOIA requests.
- Cover development and oversight of government technology policy in Congress and the courts.
- Cover industry and government events, newsmaker appearances and other spot news.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience reporting and writing for a print or online news publication.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate human sources and to mine for useful information inside official documents and databases.
- Demonstrated understanding of and interest in IT and emerging tech.
- Proven ability to write clearly and accurately on tight deadlines – producing spot news stories of varying length while also keeping focus on enterprise reporting.
- Ability to write and report stories independently and in collaboration with other reporters.
- Strong work ethic, intellectual curiosity and commitment to continuous improvement.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package plan, as well as a generous paid time off (PTO)/holiday plan.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.