FCW (Federal Computer Week; FCW.com) a division of 1105 Media Inc., has covered the intersection of technology and government for an important and influential audience for over thirty years.
We are seeking a reporter to take on the cybersecurity beat at FCW, covering news of hacks and data breaches affecting federal agencies, federal cybersecurity law and policy including news from the DHS, the White House and Congress. The successful candidate will have or be able to develop contacts in federal agencies, on Capitol Hill and among security experts and vendors and regularly break news in the federal cybersecurity arena.
- Develop contacts among agency management (especially key central policy shops) and in Congress
- Report on the intersection of federal contracting, IT modernization and cybersecurity
- Daily news coverage including industry and government events, newsmaker appearances, congressional hearings, key vendor reports
- Brainstorm, research, report and write 2-3 longer pieces each month that get ahead of the story and can drive the conversation on key issues
- A minimum of 2 years of experience reporting and writing for an online or print news publication
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate human sources and to mine for useful information inside official documents and databases
- Proven ability to write clearly and accurately on tight deadlines
- Ability to rapidly apprehend complex technical material
- Ability to write and report stories independently and in collaboration with other reporters
- Experience or interest in using the Freedom of Information Act to obtain information
- Strong work ethic, intellectual curiosity and commitment to continuous improvement
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k) plan and a generous paid time off (PTO)/holiday plan.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.