FCW (Federal Computer Week; FCW.com) a division of 1105 Media Inc., has covered the intersection of technology and government for an important and influential audience for over thirty years.
We are currently seeking a hard-charging reporter who writes well, chases stories, and is interested in developing expertise on the inner workings of the federal government and the role of technology in the government workplace.
The reporter will take on the federal workforce beat, covering issues important to 2.5 million federal employees, their managers, their unions and their agencies. The position also involves covering how emerging AI technologies are changing the future of work inside and outside the government and how Congress conducts oversight of the federal workforce.
- Develop contacts among agency management (especially key central policy shops at the White House, the Office of Personnel Management) and in Congress
- Cover industry and government events, newsmaker appearances and other spot news throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, filing an average of 5-7 short articles per week
- Brainstorm, research, report and write 2-3 longer pieces each month that get ahead of the story and can drive the conversation on key issues
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k) plan and a generous paid time off (PTO)/holiday plan.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
- A minimum of 1 year of experience reporting and writing for a print or online news publication
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate human sources and to mine for useful information inside official documents and databases
- Proven ability to write clearly and accurately on tight deadlines
- Ability to write and report stories independently and in collaboration with other reporters
- Strong work ethic, intellectual curiosity and commitment to continuous improvement